  • Subject: Re: lug-bg: Eto tova e "Open Source"
  • From: danchev@xxxxxxxxx (George Danchev)
  • Date: Sat, 7 Apr 2001 15:18:57 +0300

Dobre 4e gi ima tezi mom4eta ot Universiteti kato Helzinskia , M.I.T. ,
Berkeley i t.n. podobni  renegati :)))  ina4e  losho ...

On Friday 06 April 2001 12:34, you wrote:
> Tova e edna malka iniciativa ot horata v MIT.
>
> ------- Cut -----------------------------
> April 4, 2001
>
> Auditing Classes at M.I.T., on the Web and Free
>
> By CAREY GOLDBERG
>
>     CAMBRIDGE, Mass., April 3 - Other
>     universities may be striving to market
>     their courses to the Internet masses in hopes of dot-com
>     wealth. But the Massachusetts Institute of Technology has chosen
>     the opposite path: to post virtually all its course materials on
>     the Web, free to everybody.
>
> M.I.T. plans on Wednesday to announce a 10-year initiative, apparently
> the biggest of its kind, that intends to create public Web sites for
> almost all of its 2,000 courses and to post materials like lecture
> notes, problem sets, syllabuses, exams, simulations, even video
> lectures. Professors' participation will be voluntary, but the
> university is committing itself to post sites for all its courses, at
> a cost of up to $100 million.
>
> Visitors will not earn college credits.
>
> The giveaway idea, President Charles M. Vest of M.I.T. said, came in a
> "traditional Eureka moment" as the institute - like nearly every other
> university - brainstormed and soul-searched about how best to take
> advantage of the Internet.
>
> Called OpenCourseWare, the initiative found broad resonance among the
> faculty members, said Steven Lerman, the faculty chairman.
>
> "Selling content for profit, or trying in some ways to commercialize
> one of the core intellectual activities of the university," Professor
> Lerman said, "seemed less attractive to people at a deep level than
> finding ways to disseminate it as broadly as possible."
>
> Universities have been flocking into "distance learning" - offering
> courses online to off-campus paying students - and commercial ventures
> have been investing tens of millions of dollars in the idea. But those
> ventures tend to pick and choose among courses and professors, rather
> than trying to offer a whole university in one swoop.
>
> At the same time, on campus, universities have begun creating a great
> many course Web sites. The University of California at Los Angeles
> creates a site for every undergraduate course. But those are generally
> only for internal use, and the M.I.T. initiative appears to dwarf even
> those internal programs.
>
> "I think everybody else besides M.I.T. is in the position of being
> more cautious," and watching to see what Internet strategy works best,
> said David Brady, vice provost for learning technologies at Stanford
> University.
>
> A software entrepreneur in Washington, D.C., Michael Saylor, pledged
> $100 million to create an online free university a year ago, but he
> would build it from scratch, and the value of his stock has
> plummeted. M.I.T.'s plan differs from Mr. Saylor's, President Vest
> said: "For one thing, it's going to happen."
>
> Another difference between the M.I.T. plan and other Internet
> [...]
A mail-list of Linux Users Group - Bulgaria (bulgarian linuxers)
http://www.linux-bulgaria.org/ Hosted by Internet Group Ltd. - Stara Zagora

наши приятели

линукс за българи
http://linux-bg.org

FSA-BG
http://fsa-bg.org

OpenFest
http://openfest.org

FreeBSD BG
http://bg-freebsd.org

KDE-BG
http://kde.fsa-bg.org/

Gnome-BG
http://gnome.cult.bg/

проект OpenFMI
http://openfmi.net

NetField Forum
http://netField.ludost.net/forum/

Linux-Bulgaria.ORG

Mailing list messages are © Copyright their authors.