  • Subject: Re: lug-bg: ATA Promise RAID nevoli.
  • From: teodor@xxxxxxxxxxxxx (Teodor Georgiev)
  • Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2002 11:44:38 +0200

eto chast ot korespondenciata mi sys supporta na Promise.

Hi again,

My RAID controller is PDC20277.

With the partial open source drivers you gave me I achieved partial success.
Under Redhat 8.0 (GCC3, vanilla kernel 2.4.20) I compiled them without
receiving any errors.
But when I try to load (insmod) the drive, the system says:

"Warning: The module you are trying to load (FastTrack.o) is compiled with
gcc version 2 compiler, while the kernel you are running
is compiled with a gcc version 3 compiler. This is known not to work".

I had the same problems with the PentaMedia DVB cards (part of their driver
sources were already compiled with GCC 2.xx).

In the driver package you gave me one of the files is not a source, but an
already compiled ELF binary object. It is ftlib.o

Bear in mind that in Redhat 8.0 GCC version 3 was introduced.

The solution to this problem is quite simple:

1. Install Redhat 8.0 at your side.
2. compile the ftlib.o there from source (It will use the gcc 3 compiler)
3. publish the source.

So, please provide me with an updated driver (source) pack so I can continue
my tests running. I need this ASAP, I have to prepare these servers
urgently and to go to Holland with them.

When I finish my tests, I will inform you on the results so you can build a
complete driver pack for Redhat 8.

Bear in mind that in Mandrake 9 and the current version of Slackware Linux
GCC3 is used as well.

Kind Regards,

                                T.G.